1. Use compound exercises that utilize more than one muscle group. Full-body moves like tricep dips, burpees, and bicycle ab crunches are great examples.
2. The faster your muscles work, the greater the results. Research has shown that one rep per two seconds is three times more effective than one rep per four seconds.
3. Keep going until your muscles are totally fatigued. Do the same exercises until you cannot physically do another rep.
4. Change it up. A good muscle building routine is lifting three days a week with rest days in between.
5. Resist the urge to rest in between sets. Rest periods should be about a minute or less.